Engaging Minds, Transforming Lives

Financial Aid for Veterans

Benefits for Veterans

General Information

The Post 9/11 G I Bill

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Post-9/11 GI Bill will become effective for training on or after August 1, 2009.

The Yellow Ribbon Program

The “Yellow Ribbon Program” is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 (also known as The Post 9/11 GI Bill) This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with Veterans Administration to fund tuition expenses that exceed the annual maximum paid through the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill.  The institution can waive up to 50% of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution.

Financial Aid Shopping Sheet
Southwestern University is committed to ensuring that our prospective service member and veteran students are aware of the financial investment they are making from the beginning and have adopted the Financial Aid Shopping Sheet to assist in making an educated decision on where to attend school.

In accordance with the Principles of Excellence outlined in Executive Order 13607, Southwestern University is proud to increase services to service member and veteran students and their families.

Getting Started at Southwestern

Welcome to Southwestern University! We’re excited to have you aboard and to be able to assist you in the certification of your VA Benefits. We will need several documents from you to ensure this process runs smoothly and in accordance with VA policy. Please use the checklist below to ensure you’ve turned in all necessary documents. If you have questions, please contact Nadia Mahannah; or stop by the Center for Academic Success & Records.

Please complete the following Southwestern University forms and return to the Records Office:

Please provide Southwestern University’s Records Office with the following documents:
Click Here for Printable Checklist

  • Certificate of Eligibility: C an be requested online or by calling 1-888-442-4551.  You’ll need to mail the form to the address indicated on the form and then provide Southwestern University with a copy of the official Certificate of Eligibility you receive back;
  • DD 214-Member 4 copy (Veteran):  You may request the form online;
  • Official Copy of Military Transcript (Veteran);
  • Official Copy of Transcript from any transfer institution:  Request from Registrar’s Office at transfer institution (If you’ve sent your official transcript(s) to the Admissions Office you do not need to send an additional copy to the Records Office);
  • VA Form 22-1995 or 5495 Change of Program or Place of Training (if used VA benefits elsewhere):  Can be found online — please type in the form number (either 22-1995 or 22-5495) at the bottom of the page in the “search” space.

We will need all forms turned in to the Recordss Office before we are able to certify your credits using your VA benefits. Prior to the start of each semester we will require you to complete a “Continuing VA Student Information” form so please watch for this document in your email and/or snail mail and return it promptly. This form will notify us if you’ve taken coursework elsewhere either concurrently or separately over the summer so that we can look for your official transfer transcript prior to certification. Please be aware any coursework taken off-campus within your last 32 hours must be pre-approved by the Records Office (please speak with Nadia regarding this matter) and requires a form separate from the “Continuing VA Student Information” form.