The Early Years: 1885 to 1923

Southwestern University's Medical College opened in 1904.


In the early years, the Southwestern University campus changed dramatically as it modernized and expanded. From a newly relocated campus to a refreshed curriculum, Southwestern University reinvented itself for the new century. Changes included the construction of two new buildings, Giddings Hall and The Ladies' Annex, on the new campus location two blocks further east on University Avenue. In addition, men and women became less segregated on campus, some even attending co-ed classes. The curriculum changed with the times as well. The preparatory department closed in 1916, and a new medical school opened in Dallas for a short period of time before its ownership was transferred to Southern Methodist University. Also, the science department grew dramatically with the presence of new inventions, such as a wireless telegraph and X-ray machine, which were used frequently in the classroom. Around campus, automobiles became increasingly popular as horse drawn carriages slowly disappeared.


[Return to History Home]

Send suggestions, questions or comments about these web pages to